On 28 January 2021, Carl Rhodes moderated a panel discussion of business leaders on the ongoing issue of gender equity in our workforce. The event was created to support the UTS Women in Leadership Initiative.
The panel members were:
- Elizabeth Broderick AO (Principal, Elizabeth Broderick & Co and Independent Expert (UN Special Rapporteur), United Nations Human Rights Council)
- Stuart Irvine (CEO Lion)
- Kevin Mccann AO (Chairman, Telix Pharmaceuticals and former Board Chairman of Macquarie, Origin Energy, Healthscope Limited, ING Management and Allens Arthur Robinson)
- Nicole Sparshott (CEO, Unilever ANZ)
- Deanne Stewart (CEO, Aware Super)
- Nareen Young (Professor, Indigenous Policy (Indigenous Workforce Diversity) at UTS).
The panel addressed questions such as:
- Why despite having more women in paid employment today than ever before, do men continue to substantially outnumber women in almost all senior leadership positions across the public and private sectors?
- Are women just as good, if not better, than men leaders?
- What barriers prevent more women becoming successful leaders?
- What can be done by individuals and organisations to improve the workplace for women (and men)?